Mission: AFPPD’s mission is to encourage and promote parliamentary and related activities to obtain government and public support in facilitating population and development policies and legislation on (1) ensuring healthy lives and human well-being and (2) eradicating poverty in the Asia-Pacific region, with a view to contributing to the achievement of equitable and sustainable development.
Objectives: The objective of the organization is to strengthen the regional network of parliamentarians who are committed to full implementation of the population and development agenda, particularly the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD PoA) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). AFPPD aims to achieve this through capacity building for parliamentarians and National Committees.
Activities: AFPPD’s activities include the following:
- To establish and promote collaboration among parliamentarians and other elected legislative representatives, the associates of those representatives and institutions in all Asia-Pacific countries for the development, utilization and sharing of data, information, research findings, expertise and experience pertaining to population and development issues;
- To facilitate the dissemination and utilization of information and research, including through print and online resources, to promote policy solutions to population and development issues;
- To facilitate, support and organize events for parliamentarians in order to promote and encourage their involvement in addressing population and development issues;
- To generate and mobilize resources needed to render AFPPD capable of fulfilling its functions and responsibilities on a sustainable basis; and
- To encourage and promote the formation of National Committees of parliamentarians to address population and development issues where these bodies are not yet in existence.
Updated 15 December 2016